Friday, May 7, 2010

Inspiring Women: Elizabeth Galton


As I was running on the treadmill this morning, I simultaneously watched my first episode of an investment tv show, Dragon’s Den. I only knew of Dragon’s Den from the TV show “IT Crowd”, so it was kindda cool to see the real thing. It has to be more than a coincidence that at the exact hour when I went running, on a tv that could’ve been put on any channel, they showed a 2005 Dragon’s Den episode where a high-end Jewelry designer Elizabeth Galton took the spotlight. Elizabeth was only 28 when she appeared on the show.

I am intrigued that out of so many people that proposed their inventions, a jewelry designer would out beat them all. She took the spotlight not because of her solid background and experience in jewelry design and sales, but also her knowledge in business, and that was a big plus for her in having the dragons securing 110.000 pounds investment (with 30% share) that she needed.

I’m just quoting straight out of the episode here straight from my memory. She first collaborated with Mercedes Benz in an advertising campaign in 2000. She sold 5 necklaces in one add for 6.000 pounds each- that’s 30.000 pounds from one add. I was really impressed when the Dragon’s asked her about where her business is going to go, she has her business plan and financial forecast planned out already and was very confident about it. If I was in that room being bombarded by questions and criticism, I would cry. It’s just amazing how she kept her emotion still.

Ok, I’m not the sort of person who cares too much about money, power or even mass produced anything. But I do believe that Elizabeth is more of a designer than anything else and it's awesome that she combine that with her business brain.

Here's an interesting article about her career and appearance on the show:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/2922418/Dragons-Den-fired-investors-interest.html

I hope you are inspired! =)


"Orchid Gem" Necklace by Elizabeth Galton commissioned by Swarovski.

No comments:

Post a Comment